Monday, August 3, 2015

My Prayers Were Answered

Dear Family, 
How are you guys doing? How are things going? How is everyone is doing? Please say "hi" for me to grandma and grandpa Hill and Haws. I haven't heard from them sine I left. I want to write them but I didn't have their email address. If you could send me their email address, it would be so great. Please tell them hi for me! I hope you guys had a great week. I got a picture of Luke standing up from dad. The is so exciting, I was really happy when I saw that. 

I had really amazing week, it was the best week ever! We got four new investigators. Two of them accepted our invitation for baptism on the first lesson. I believe both of those guys have been looking for truth but didn't knew where to find it. On my first week here, in the field, I never thought we would meet people like them.  I really prayed that God will lead us to people like them who is looking for the truth. He did lead us to them. It is so amazing how fast the Lord answers our prayers sometimes. Their names are; Joe, Lou, David and Ernest. Joe and Lou are the one who accepted the baptismal invitation. 

Joe grew up Catholic, but he pretty much just straight up doesn't believe anything they say is true. He's now split between the Baptist church and another church in Betterton, Maryland. He likes the Baptist church but doesn't like how their sermons are starting to be all about money. We were able to teach the Restoration to him and as we talked he really liked and agreed with what was said. He also told us that he is looking for a church that had good morals in a world where we are losing them. He also said that he knows there is something missing in his life and so we were able to testify that this gospel, especially the Book of Mormon can help fill that piece that is missing. We committed him to read the Book of Mormon and pray to know Joseph Smith is a prophet and also to come to church. His baptismal date is on September 20. He is really awesome guy. 

Lou was raised Roman Catholic. We stopped by him because he was a media referral that wanted a Book of Mormon. We were able to sit down and have a great lesson with him. He agreed with everything we said and taught him. He thought that what we taught him made sense. We were able to teach him the restoration and he loved it. When we asked him questions about how he felt and what he thought of it he would always say, "ya that makes sense." We committed him to read the Book of Mormon and pray to know its true. We than invited him to be baptized on October 4th and he accepted. He is really nice guy.

Ernest and David are really nice guys as well. Ernest's biggest questions were around Joseph Smith and why we worship on Sunday instead of Saturday. David didn't really had any questions. They both turned down the baptismal invitation because they have already been baptized. We tried to explain the priesthood authority but they didn't understand it very well and we ran out of time as well. So we are going to teach them both about priesthood authority next time.

We also experienced one really sad thing. We were called by this guy named Robert saying he needed us to come right away to Jent General hospital in Dover. His wife had a heart attack and they don't think she is going to make it so he needed us to give her a blessing and to give him one of comfort and strength. We first talked about with him what happens when we pass on from this life and really tried to comfort him. We than gave her a priesthood blessing and gave him one as well.  Elder Mackay gave her one and I was able to give Robert one as well. That was my first time giving people a blessing. I was really nervous at first but it went good at the end. After both of the blessings it seemed to have calmed him down a little bit. We committed him to read his scriptures and continue to pray to find comfort and peace in his life.

I'm really grateful for this gospel, for the happiness and peace it brings to our life. I know that family can be together for ever. I'm really grateful for this opportunity to be on a mission and to serve other. I know this is where I need to be, there is nothing better. Thank you so much for helping me get here. I won't be here with out you guy's help. 

Love, 
Elder Haws

No comments:

Post a Comment